My White Whale

Call me Lovefool. Some years ago, never mind how long precisely, having little or no brain in my head and nothing particular to interest me in real life, I thought I would sit about a little and watch LOCI. And this is how it started...

Of all the nerve! I'm writing a novel. And mind you, the influence of Herman Melville and the episode Anti-Thesis (S02E03) are much in evident. Anti-Thesis is the episode that marks the debut of Nicole Wallace who appears in multiple episodes over the rest of the seasons. In looking back over the episode, for my part, it's always been kinda heart-breaking. Speaking of Anti-Thesis, let's recall the legendary conversation on Moby Dick between Bobby and the nutty, shall we?

Nicole Wallace: In American literature, the descent into madness is usually preceded by obsession. A consuming obsession. Example, anyone? Alright, I'll get you started. Moby Dick. What characterises Ahab's obsession? Yeah, in the back.
Robert Goren: The dogged unrelenting pursuit of evil.
NW: Interesting. Evil. I always fancied it was man's unrelenting pursuit of his own potency.
RG: Sometimes a whale is just a whale.
NW: Nothing is ever just something. Not even detectives.
RG: Or professors. Or graduate students for that matter.
NW: That sounds a bit ominous.

As we all know Moby Dick is considered one of the greatest novels in the English language. And I wish I could say the best is yet to come about my 'novel'. But it's not all it's cracked up to be. Unfortunately when I get confused, I mix up all the languages I know *sigh*. Hence if Moby Dick stands for a Gorgeous Phantasmogoria, mine can stand for a Gorgeous Algolagnia:)

Maybe A Whale Is Just A Whale

But Certainly A Detective Is Not Just A Detective